Popular Posts

Sunday, November 13, 2011

At the Crossroads (Narrative Essay)

[Narrative Essay:] 

At the Crossroads

[by : the one who won the world of nowhere]

“How do you see yourself in the future, Regina?”, my elementary teacher asked me while I was on the verge of falling under the magical spell of the Sleep Fairy.  My slit eyes opened a bit and slowly reached its target.  My teacher again threw the same question to me, thinking that I was not listening to her.  “A teacher…” was the only answer I gave her.

I was unsure of my answer that time. I have no specific profession in mind because I thought it would just waste my time.  When I was six years old, I remembered saying that I want to become a teacher someday.  When I turned eight, it did not change.  As I reached the age of twelve, I thought it would be cool to be an “actress” at the same time a “singer” because I knew to myself that I have the acting and singing prowess.  I could somewhat act whenever no one is around the house.  On the part of singing, I think my voice sounds great, that is because I am the only person hearing it, and another point is that I lock myself in my recording studio ----- the comfort room.  As I entered high school, I only dreamt the same things when I was little though I lost eighty percent of the excitement and enthusiasm I had then.  Maybe it was because I felt lost and I don’t know the reason why.  An idea came to my mind ----- I’ll quit after finishing high school.  I mean, I wanted to have a grand vacation because I don’t know what course to take up in college.  I told myself that I would not work hard in my studies or even strive to be on top of class; I kept this idea in mind and I was fool enough to follow it.  My grades dropped and at first I felt worried about it, but I managed to care less and feel no guilt. 

A greater dilemma came after I finished high school.  Though I did not want to enter college my parents of course had the supreme powers over me, so I was commanded to continue my studies.  My first choice in Bicol University was B. S. Nursing, as told by my parents.  My second choice was A.B. English only because the word “English” catch my attention.  Unsurprisingly, I was not qualified in my first choice because I was below the border of the target grade.  I had to endure numerous weeks of searching for any course that would take me with open arms.  Because of my determination and my somewhat high grades in English, the English department gave me the chance to be a part of the B.U. family. 

So, for four years I studied the English language and the world of literature.  It was then that I realized how complicated English is and how deep literature is.  For me, each class was mind-bending and this course was life-changing.  Graduating from college was the best moment that I’ve ever experienced so far and I thought to myself:”Yippee! My life at school has finally ended! ”.  It seems that I need to swallow that thought I had in mind, because at this point I’m still a student and maybe until I literally would be leaving school, life is still offering new courses and the world is nothing but a classroom. 

At this instant, I still don’t see a clear picture of my future.  Just like my childhood years, I’m still at the crossroads ----- so, if ever my elementary teacher or any teacher I’ve had accidentally come across me sometime soon and asks “How do you see yourself in the future, Regina?”, I’ll just show a flashy smile and say “ I don’t know…”, but at the back of my head I believe that I’d probably end up somewhere else, I’d be happy then because I know that it’s where I wanted to be ; the problem is ----- I don’t know it yet.

1 comment:

  1. Good post. I was searching for such type of issues for a long time, now I have got it. Thanks Gay College Guy Bloggin

    ReplyDelete