Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

MY SUPERWOMAN

DESCRIPTIVE


“It is six o’ clock now! The sun is set high in the sky at the moment! Why don’t you wake up now? The chickens are already very noisy but you are still in bed. I have done so many things already.” During my youth, these were my mother’s words that often rang through my ears early in the morning. My mother says these every day, even during weekends when we can stay in bed until ten o’ clock in the morning. But no! With my mother, I used to wake up as early as six in the morning or before the sun sets or else, I would hear again my mother’s “speech”.
            She was exceedingly meticulous of every single detail. She would scold me for a very tiny detail that I missed, especially in cleaning the house and doing the household chores. I hid whenever I want to rest so that she would not catch me for I would be scolded again if I did! She would say that I am so lazy. If she saw me sitting down after eating my lunch, she would tick me off again, and would say that there are still numerous chores to do. Sometimes, I felt so weary about what she was doing to me. But despite of that, I never answered her back. I never complained.  
 Although she says countless talk, long sermon when I made mistakes, painful words, I love my mother very much. Because my father died early and my mom was left with nine kids, I certainly understand why she was like that. She needed to work hard for us. With nine kids to raise, she had to double her time. My mother had to always make ends meet. She is incredibly a hardworking mom.
Sometimes, I saw her crying alone, almost giving up. If she couldn’t take it anymore, she would wail. I remember when there was a misunderstanding among my brothers. She cried out loud and said her grievances. I feel the weight of it on my shoulder. She said that if she is not a strong woman, she would be found now in a mental hospital. Indeed, she is tough!
On the other hand, my mother is a happy person. She grins like the sun. She loves to sing and dance. She has a golden voice. When she sings, I feel glad because she is free from worries. And at least, she could forget her difficulties for the meantime.
Before, I had never appreciated her goodness. Because I am distant with my feelings, I never had a chance to tell her my thoughts. I by no means had an opportunity to reveal my sentiments. For all those years, my mother and I had never talked about my circumstances. She only hugged me when I was about to build my own family. I was surprised and overwhelmed by that. For my twenty-one years of existence, she had never done it. I felt the warmth and care of her hug. The feeling was moving.
Now that I have my own family, I miss her extended sermon. I am yearning for the smell of her perfume which is sweet-scented. I long walking with her as if we’re running for a race; I was always left behind when we walk together because she walks so fast. I miss my mother, my SUPERWOMAN.

 BY : XANDIE JOY B. BELEN

No comments:

Post a Comment