Popular Posts

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Narrative Writing by Fe Briones


NARRATIVE ESSAY
by
Fe Briones

MY FIRST TRIP TO MANILA

Manila. A famous, controversial place I had never been before until I was twenty years old. My sister was married to a foreigner and was staying in London for quite sometimes. Until one summer she decided to buy a house in Manila, in one of the most expensive subdivisions in Las Piñas.
There was no mobile phone yet, way back 1980s. The only means of communication available that time is either through telegram or long distance call via land line telephone you will rent.
One afternoon, our landlady handed me a telegram. I was in third year college that time and was renting a room near to the university I was studying. It was a telegram from my sister requesting me to call her in the telephone number also indicated in the telegram. After changing my school uniform, I went to PT&T and made a long distance call. My sister is requesting me to go to Manila to bring some important documents she urgently needs.
I felt so excited I cannot sleep that night. I am trying to picture out Manila. The famous places I want to visit. Places I only watch from televisions. According to my sister I will stay for one week since it’ssemestral vacation. So, I want to go to malls, movie houses, to Luneta and Nayong Pilipino.    
I took a night trip. I felt both nervous and excited while riding the bus. Though my sister had given me complete instruction, I cannot help getting nervous. What if the bus took other route? What if while I was in the comfort room the bus leave and I was left? What if the bus had an engine trouble and did not reach the terminal the time it is expected to arrive and my sister had left already? All of these are clouds in my mind that trigger my fear of being lost in Manila. According to some folks who had been in Manila, this city is very big withtall buildings and jeepneys, taxi cabs and buses and people are all around night and day. I did never sleep during my trip.
When finally the bus stopped in Pasay, I took my bag and embrace it. I remember my mother’s caution of snatchers and pick pocketers in the terminal. My eyes inspected every face in the waiting area looking for my sister. But, she was not there. Passengers gone one by one until only three were left, I was one of them. Fear started striking me. My sister  was expecting the bus will arrive as early as 5:00 in the morning, but the bus arrived at 8:00. Did my sister went home already thinking that I changed my mind and no longer coming today?
“Neneng, good you’re now here. I was here in the terminal since 5:00 in the morning. Let’s go.” It’s my sister who just went out from the comfort room.
The subdivision is almost one hour ride from the Pasay Terminal. I was amazed by the tall and big houses along the way. My sister’s new bought house is the fifth from the third row, a three-storey building with wide lawn planted with green carabao grass and flowering plants. Too big for two persons. My sister was not blessed with a child.
I rested the whole morning. In the afternoon we went to Baclaran Church and attended a mass. I was expecting that the church is full with mass goers, but I was wrong. Only half of the church is occupied. According to my sister, the church is full of church goers only when it is Wednesday and Sunday.
The next day was a busy day. My brother-in-law has to meet foreign businessmen in Cubao. I will be joining them. I learned that they are planning to open a business with some of his friends here in Manila and this morning they will visit a prospect site of the business which is in Cubao.
Big business establishments are found in Cubao, much bigger and taller buildings than those in provinces and even in Las Piñas. It is such a busy city. Traffic is also terrible; vehicles both private and public abound everywhere. People are busy. They walk faster than those in provinces who walk lazily. They are well dressed, a manifestation of abundance. But there are also beggars and street children I saw. This is a place where people from all walks of life met. The richest among the rich and the poorest among the poor.
Our lunch was fabulous. Shangrila Hotel and Restaurant serves the best cuisine in the whole of Manila. Fantastic foods were served to us. Foods I never tasted my life. First time I ate in such a cold and classy restaurant.
We visited Luneta late in the afternoon that same day and Nayong Pilipino and Manila Zoo the next day. What a wonderful experienced I had. Stories I want to tell my other siblings when I return home. I am sure they will be amazed.
I had been in Baclaran already when we attended a mass during my first day in Manila. So, when we visited a relative residing there, I was so confident I know the place and will not be lost. While they were having some sort of “komustahan”, I asked permission from my sister to go to church. My sister asked me if I am sure I will not be lost and will be able to come back. I confidently answered yes, I will not be lost and will be able to find my way back. Anyway, it was only 2:00 in the afternoon.
After a minute of prayer in the church, I decided to explore the market. I started to walk and enjoy buying some stuff believing that they are much cheaper here than in the malls. It was almost 4:00 in the afternoon when I decided to go back to my cousin’s house which is just at the back of the church. Late to realize that I have gone far already. I cannot decide which way to go. I was lost. I keep on walking and walking but not sure of the direction I am heading for. I begun to tremble, it’s almost 6:00 and it’s becoming dark. I begun to cry when I saw a woman staring at me. “Ineng, are you lost?” she asked.
“Yes, Manang. Can you please show me the way to the church?”
She sighed and smiled. “Ineng, there is the church. Few meters from here.”
I followed the direction she pointed. To my surprise, I was almost there. The church is just several steps from where I am standing. I saw my cousin, my sister and my brother-in-law standing beside the closed gate of the church with worried faces. I run, embraced my sister and cried. Never will I dare to go alone in this busy and big city of Manila. Never again.

No comments:

Post a Comment