Popular Posts

Monday, November 14, 2011

Narrative Essay

QUE SERA, SERA….. WHATEVER WILL BE, WILL BE….
by: Mary Jane G. Funa

Eleven years ago, one of my classmates in high school asked this question to us: “What course are you planning to take up in college?” Everyone from the group answered their plan except me who was quietly seated and deeply thinking about her question. Being the only one who did not answer, she asked me again that same question. “You, Jane, what is your plan? I guess you will take education. Maybe you will become a teacher someday,” she added. “Teacher! Hah! Whatever happens, I will never be a teacher. I don’t want to become a teacher! If you are a teacher, you never stop studying and I don’t like to do it forever! Whatever course, as long as not teacher.”  This was my answer that gives an impact with what I am now.
Times passed by. I need to make a decision where will I took my college life. I chose to spend it in Stella Maris College in Cubao, an all-girl school, managed by the Franciscan sisters. It was because I wouldn’t like to stop in college due to financial aspect. In this school, the only course being offered is Religious Education. The good thing was I will not think of any financial problem because I was a scholar. What we only need to pay was Php 3,000 each semester including food and boarding house. Opposite to my plan, I still went through with it thinking that if I will be graduated in this course and have my work; I can pursue what really was my dream without bothering my parents.
This decision made my life change: in my way of living, my attitudes, and my beliefs. Studying in this school was just like living a nun. I learned to live my life in a simplest way like the sisters. I need to accept whatever kind of foods is being offered. I didn’t have the chance to go out from the campus except for the scheduled Saturdays and Sundays of my home visit. My classrooms were just beside of our dorms. I woke up early so that I can catch up for everyday mass. After this, I still had one hour for adoration. At night, I will attend the Para liturgy that our group also prepared. After this activity, I need to stay at the library for our library hour until 9:30 p.m. During this time, I was not allowed to stay at any place that I would like to stay. At exactly 10:00 p.m., the lights were turned off. One of the sisters will roam around to check us if we were at our dorms. No one should be outside of the dorms at this time. If the sister will catch you walking outside, she deserved an explanation. I was not allowed to use cellphones, radio and television. No wearing of shorts and sleeveless. These were just some of the rules that I need to abide if I don’t want to be kicked out. At first, it was so hard for me to accept it but in everyday doing these; it became part of my everyday routine.
Once, we had our pastoral activity done in New Manila Quezon City. Me and my group mates were assigned to gather and teach the poor children about God; after which, we will  provide games for them. This will not end there. We have had our home visits to each family and had counseling to them. I had the chance to have a short but meaningful conversation to Nanay Ella. A mother of three, separated from her husband. “Alam mo ma’am natutuwa kami pag bumibisita kayo dito. Maraming natututunan ang anak ko sainyo. Kahit sa ganitong paraan man lang ay maranasan nila ang makapag-aral.Di  man lang kasi sila makapasok kasi tumutulong sila saakin. Yung anak ko naman na bunso ayaw ng pumasok dahil palagi na lang daw siyang walang baon at project.” (We are glad if you are coming here. My children learned a lot from you. In this way, they experience how to be in a school. They couldn’t go to school because they are helping me. My youngest child doesn’t like to go to school because he doesn’t have allowance and project always. )  Listening to this, I felt something in my heart. I came out with the realization. They need to be educated. They need teachers. They need us. Every child must have the chance to go to school. This is it! This is my conversion!
As of now, I am a happy teacher. This is not “what will I be”. Maybe I can be a somebody in some way. Whatever happens to me in the future is not “que sera sera”. God knew what is good for me. Whatever I do, every time I deny and ignore His call, the louder the voice He had. God put me in this situation because God knew that I am better in teaching than anything else. God made me realized that life is a continuous learning. One of the reasons why I was pursuing to finish my college in spite of the difficulties is to learn. And from that learning, I could share, and sharing gives meaning to my life. Now I believe, I was born to become a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment